Monday, July 20, 2009

Thing #18 - Online Tools

I had a lot of fun playing with Google Docs and exploring Open Office. I watched the video about Open Office and thought it had a lot to offer. I'm glad we've got it loaded on our laptops. I searched through and saved several of the Google Docs. From a personal standpoint, I saw numerous templates that I could download and use for my finances, calendar, etc. and share with my husband online.

One of the obvious advantages of having documents such as these available online as opposed to using Microsoft Office is that other people can access the information and put in their changes. This keeps me from having to do all of the input for a collaborative document or presentation, if I'm the originator. This might be a very good way for our dyslexia support group to update presentation handouts or slides/"powerpoints" that we give. We usually work in pairs or groups of three when we make presentations and this would be very easy to keep updates circulating. It is very difficult for us to find "face-to-face" time because we are at different schools and on very tight schedules. I can also see a use for students who are working on group presentations.

1 comment:

  1. True! Please let us know if you decide to do this with your dyslexia support group. I am using it this summer, and it is an efficient way to communicate in a timely manner.

    ReplyDelete